Monday, January 31, 2011

Mellow Yellow Monday

These details of "The Coronation of Charlemagne"
are in my favorite part of the Vatican Museum,
the Raphael rooms.  Although Raphael is believed
to have made the design for this composition,
the work was probably done by a couple of artists
from his workshop.  Either way, I think it's stunning.


I also love it when the artist includes
a figure like this,  peering out of
the canvas—usually it's a
self-portrait, so I wonder if
this is Raphael (or one of his
colleagues) as a child.
[See more Mellow Yellow here.]

5 comments:

  1. It is stunning, Alexa. I find these paintings so full of information of all kinds, and yes, the person looking at the artist....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is spectacular. I was there in 2009 but I don't recall seeing this piece. I remember making a beeline to see the Creation of Man because it was about closing time when I arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That child is precious and how smart of you to recognize and capture this one!

    Bises,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photographs take me to places I"ve not been. I so enjoy them!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice capture! I am following your blog, visit and follow mine 2! tnx.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, merci, grazie, danke, hvala, gracias, spasibo, shukran, dhanyavaad, salamat, arigato, and muito obrigado for your much-appreciated comments.