Thursday, July 17, 2008

so what's so special about this photo?


Nothing. But five minutes before I was allowed to take this photo
there was another one I wasn't allowed to take.   I was here
near this side exit at the Hyatt Hotel talking on the phone with a
friend and one of the hotel employees came and said they were
moving a "dignitary" and would I stay where I was?  Sure.
Well, "dignitary" was putting it mildly, because the next thing 
I knew I was five feet away from the Dalai Lama!
I know he describes himself as "a simple monk," but
there's an energy field around him that you can actually feel. Don't
quite know how to explain it, but I literally got chills. He was here
to give a "teaching" talk on the Four Noble Truths at Radio City Music Hall.
(And the last place I would have expected him to be staying is the
Hyatt on 42nd Street—where the lobby is currently tackily 
decorated in honor of this week's all-star game!)

11 comments:

  1. Alexa, I must say that I've never put the Dalai Lama with Radio City Music Hall. I've got to applaud a guy who plans ahead and works those Rockettes into his act. He is a visionary in my book. Truly incredible and wonderful timing of a loving presence (the Dalai Lama, too!) :-)
    BTW, did you and Mr. PDP discuss today's posts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa, how cool is that?! There's a slight possibility the King of Jordan will ride his Harley through Willits tomorrow, but he'll probably take the coast route instead.

    That's all I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew -- I was afraid you'd get on me for not being able to get "the photo." And you both still crack me up!
    coltrane -- no, I did not, so perhaps I'll go back & just mention my little encounter (the coincidence did strike me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see that in this photo of the taxi you are still doing service to the Dalai Lama by illustrating the First Noble Truth: Life means suffering (especially if we have to sit through a screening of "Hellboy").

    ReplyDelete
  5. tall gary -- I know this looks like any old taxi, but it's actually the very one that takes you on the noble eightfold path. The Dalai Lama got into a town car (that was followed by 7 others and a police car).

    ReplyDelete
  6. great story! I got chills reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexa, imagine if you actually met him. You could say what I always wanted to say to him, "Hello Dalai!" [in a Satchmo voice of course]

    ReplyDelete
  8. coltrane -- me too!! But I'd probably channel Channing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The eightfold path is Buddhist? I thought it was an explication of the Way of Origami.

    I'm kind of glad he didn't use the taxi you photographed. The sign on its top could have been a little confusing to spectators.

    ReplyDelete
  10. tall gary -- I just knew you'd notice that. And never mind LOL, you made me guffaw! (It wasn't TOO painful)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did he glance your way? Exchange smiles? You and M PDP sure get around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, merci, grazie, danke, hvala, gracias, spasibo, shukran, dhanyavaad, salamat, arigato, and muito obrigado for your much-appreciated comments.