This beautiful carousel was originally built in 1922, and was the first carousel
to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It was purchased in 1984 by Brooklyn artist Jane Walentas and her
husband, David. Jane has been carefully restoring it since then.
Finally, after 27 years' work, it's up and running again—in its new home
between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. The carousel—
and its glass pavilion designed by French architect Jean Nouvel—are
a gift from the the Walentas family to the people of NYC.
Jane's painstaking renovation
was truly a labor of love.